Well, punch has all grown up now. It is one of the hot trends at chi-chi cocktail bars across the country. They’re also super-easy to make at home for your next Big Do -- ahem, Thanksgiving. Yes, a serve-yourself punch bowl on Turkey Day with the extended family might be just the ticket. Keep the mix light, to minimize the risk of over-indulging, but interesting.
Ilise made Sherry ‘Woo Hoo’ Punch for a dear friend's recent welcome home party. The flavors were assuredly grown up and oh so quaffable! This primo punch goes down easily and leaves a smile.
Make an ice ring to chill the punch. Not only does it melt slowly, meaning less dilution of the punch, an ice ring can also hold pretty flowers, herbs or slices of fruit inside to add visual interest.
This adult beverage recipe works equally well in a punch bowl and cocktail format. You do you. Woo hoo!
Click on the photos below to enlarge them and read the captions.
Inspired by Solera sherry punch
- 1 1/2 ounces Cream Sherry (such as Harveys Bristol Cream)
- 1/2 ounce Spiced Rum
- 1/2 ounce Orange Rum
- 1 ounce fresh Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 ounce Orgeat – see recipe below
- 1-2 dashes of Aromatic Bitters
- Measure and pour the sherry, both rums, pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orgeat into a shaker.
- Add the bitters.
- Fill the shaker with ice, cap it, and shake vigorously.
- Strain the drink over fresh ice into an old-fashioned glass. Garnish with orange or pineapple.
Recipe source: Bevvy
- 8 ounces (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) simple syrup
- ½ ounce almond extract
- ½ ounce orange flower water
- Combine all ingredients in a Mason jar and shake vigorously until mixed.
- The orgeat syrup will last for about a month in the refrigerator.