The Occasion: First dinner on the patio of the season. It probably wasn’t quite warm enough but we fired up the grill, dragged the chairs out of storage and did it anyway, tempted by an unseasonably balmy day.
What We Served:
Recipe source: Meatballs&Milkshakes via Food52
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 handful toasted, crushed hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan or pecorino cheese shavings
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise to create strips.
- Toss with the toasted hazelnuts and mint.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and olive oil.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons over asparagus and toss to mix. Add salt and pepper, additional dressing to taste.
- Shave cheese on top.
This would be a great side dish for a medium-fancy dinner party or a ladies lunch. Probably not so much for kids or a busy weeknight.