The Occasion: Nice enough to serve for dinner with company, but easy enough to assemble quickly for a weeknight supper with the family.
The Recipe: This tasty recipe for Mahi-Mahi with Smashed White Beans and Sage comes from Bon Appetit, a mainstay for home cooks and avid eaters everywhere. I never worry about the accuracy or quality of the recipes I find on their site. Recommended!
The Playlist: OMG the sexist statements from The Man in Black in this song are almost too much for me, but I confess to having a soft spot in my cold dark heart when it comes to Johnny Cash. Plus … beans! It’s thematically correct for pairing with this recipe.
|Print The Recipe- Mahi-Mahi with Smashed White Beans and Sage|
|File Size:||599 kb|
Recipe source: Bon Appetit
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1¼ pounds skinless mahi-mahi fillets, divided into five portions (ono, albacore, and swordfish are all good substitutes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped sage leaves
- 1 small chile de árbol or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- ½ cup homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Mix together rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and orange zest. Sprinkle onto mahi-mahi and let stand at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add garlic, sage, and chile and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beans and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and smashing some of the beans with a spoon or spatula as they cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Add stock and continue to mash to a thick purée (beans should retain some shape and texture).
- Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice and zest and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer beans to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Blot fish dry with paper towels and add to skillet.
- Cook until fish is browned on both sides and just opaque at the center, 5–8 minutes.
- Serve fish with beans and lemon wedges.