The Recipe: The recipe for Roasted Warm Spiced Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Pomegranate Seeds comes from the original yummy mummy, Nigella Lawson. I admire Nigella’s low-key, stress-free approach to home cooking, the easy-going tone she takes in her writing, and the shortcuts she is willing to take. Check out the original recipe here.
What Makes This Special: The unexpected pairing, the cauliflower and pomegranates, works extremely well. It’s a meatless protein-packed meal, plus it makes a lovely dish – so colorful! Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
|Print This Recipe- Warm Spiced Cauliflower with Chickpeas and Pomegranate Seeds|
|File Size:||680 kb|
Recipe source: Nigella Lawson featured in Simply Nigella
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons regular olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste (use more or less according to taste; if you can’t find harissa, substitute another chili paste or sauce such as sriracha)
- 4 smallish ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Large bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Trim the cauliflower and divide into small florets.
- Pour the oil into a large bowl, add the cinnamon and cumin seeds, and stir or whisk to help the spices disperse. Tip in the prepared cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a sheet pan or medium size baking dish. Place in the oven to roast for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the same bowl used earlier. Taste the harissa to determine exactly how much to add, then add it and toss to coat.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters (or smaller chunks if the tomatoes are large) and add them to the bowl. Mix.
- When the cauliflower has finished cooking for 15 minutes, remove the tray, and quickly add the chickpeas and tomatoes over the cauliflower. Stir or toss to combine before returning to the oven for another 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- When it’s ready, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the salt over the vegetables. Move the vegetables to a serving bowl, then add half of the pomegranate seeds and toss to combine.
- Garnish each serving with torn or roughly chopped parsley leaves and a few of the remaining pomegranate seeds.