Well, that was the inspiration for this go-round with our group of foodies, substituting dinner for music as the medium. The theme is Encore!
Such a wealth of material in our repertoire! The time was right to revisit our past for inspiration. Ilise is our archivist, tracking the details of each meal since 2006 on a master spreadsheet from which we each selected a classic theme to reinvent for an encore performance.
We expected that the Encore ‘hook’ would inspire our fellow Foodies to get creative and have fun with some of the past themes.
There are some real goodies on that spreadsheet:
Duck and Cover; Red Square; Chocolate; and Booze on the Barbie, to name just a few.
Before serving up the tantalizing details of this dinner, let’s set the mood with an Encore Playlist. Hit the Play arrow and settle in with a beverage of your choice.
Then get ready for More.
Char-grilled pineapple is the key to this tasty tipple, and the mezcal brings a whole new level of smoky goodness. We all toasted with Cheers! and Bravo! in anticipation of another wonderful dinner party. Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
- Drinks: Mezcal cocktail w/ caramelized pineapple and jalapeno; Assorted wines; and a Nightcap: Chocolate Covered Caramel (made with chocolate liqueur, butterscotch schnapps, and vodka served w/ a caramel straw in a chocolate cup)
- Appetizer: Caramelized onion and three cheese tart; Caramelized bacon
- Main course: Pork Bi Bim Bop; Pickled quail eggs; Korean cucumber salad; Shishito peppers; Seasoned perilla leaves; and two types of Kimchee
- Dessert: Croquembouche with rum and Kahlua custard
Arriving at the party with a giant pizza oven attachment for the kettle grill in tow, the Ks proceeded to make two flavors of pizza: Margherita, with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil; and Prosciutto with mozzarella and baby spinach. Fresh, light, chewy, and utterly delicious! Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
- Drinks: Concord Grape Cobbler inspired by No. 9 Park; selected bottles of Witness Tree Pinot Noir, which we first enjoyed (very much!) at Blue Hill
- Appetizer: Lentils with Warm Spinach and Goat Cheese inspired by Mia Francesca
- Main course: Duck and venison (sorry, the details are absent)
- Dessert: Crème brulee (short on details here too)
- Drinks: Canadian Bacon Cocktail served with maple glazed bacon; Spicy Pineapple Pepperitas made with pepperoni and jalapeno pepper-infused tequila; and assorted wine
- Appetizer: Sausages and pickled veggies; Flatbread with apples, caramelized onions, Asiago and maple-candied turkey bacon
- Main course: "Polenta Portobello Pig Out Platter" with three stews: the Tuscan Wild Boar stew (made with regular pork instead of boar), a classic Ragù Bolognese; and Parsley-Pipián pulled chicken
- Dessert: Chocolate and vanilla ice cream served with warm chocolate ganache and ganache-covered strawberries and dried pineapple
This dessert fits perfectly for the Regional Italian Cuisine theme we enjoyed in 2011 – this recipe represents Sicily – and it also ticks the box for our 2007 theme, Cookbook from the Year You Were Born – sorta. Although this particular cookbook – Mimmetta LoMonte’s Classic Sicilian Cooking – was published more than a few years after Dan and Greg were born, Greg did receive the book as a birthday gift from his mother, so we’re going to say he gets style points for this one. Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
- Drinks: Gin martini, Negroni, Bellini, Italian beer, Italian red wines & homemade Limoncello
- Appetizer: Lazio Region - Ceci alla Romana, Peperonata alla Romana & Gaeta olives; Roman Legionnaires Farro soup and Gnocchi alla Romana
- Main course: Emilia-Romagna Region - Pasta Bolognese, Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto di Parma, Risotto with Parmigiano Reggiano and aged balsamic vinegar & Broccoli rabe
- Dessert: Trentino Alto Adige & Veneto Regions - Semifreddo al miele and Apfelnusstorte (or Torta di Mele)
- Drinks: Tangatini (a martini made with Tang, but not from a cookbook), Gin Gimlets and French wine
- Appetizer: Salmon mousse, and Vichyssoise
- Main course: Coq au vin
- Dessert: White layer cake with Maraschino cherries, and Brandy Balls