Why This Works: Similar to a Mimosa, an accepted form of day drinking beloved by brunch fans everywhere, this baby brings a few surprises to the table starting with the beautiful deep color.
It’s just fruity and sweet enough to pass for a moderately healthy juice drink, and then the gin flavor comes along to remind you that it’s an adult beverage after all.
Finally the sparkling wine bubbles kisses your nose and says what a great hair day you’re having.
Now that’s a cocktail I’m ready to get to know better!
Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Recipe by Ilise Goldberg
Makes two cocktails
- 1 ½ ounces Gin
- ½ ounce Grand Marnier
- ¾ ounce Orange Juice
- ½ ounce Blood Orange Juice
- ½ ounce Lime Juice
- ¼ ounce Simple Syrup
- 4 dashes Blood Orange Simple Syrup
- Champagne or Sparkling Wine
- Blood Orange wedge for garnish
- Load a shaker with ice and add all liquid ingredients (except champagne). Shake well.
- Pour strained drink into two champagne flutes, evenly divided.
- Top with champagne. Stir gently. Garnish with a slice of blood orange.
To make simple syrup add equal parts sugar and water in a pan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved into the water and the liquid looks clear. Cool completely before using in cocktails.