The Occasion: This adult beverage will meet all of your summer sipping needs.
The Playlist: Sometimes there’s a nice, clear connection between the recipe and the musical pairing. This time it’s only a dotted line.
What Makes it Special: It’s the smoked rum which gives this drink a complex and flavorful twist. We use the Stolen brand and enjoy it very much. Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Recipe by Ilise Goldberg
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 2 ounces Stolen Smoked Rum
- 1 ½ ounces Nectarine Simple Syrup (recipe below)
- ½-ounce Lemon Juice
- Small handful of Mint Leaves plus more for garnish
- 1-2 dashes Bitters
- Nectarine Slices for garnish
- Combine the nectarine simple syrup and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker. Add a small handful of mint leaves and muddle.
- Add smoked rum and ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour the drink into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Add one to two dashes of bitters.
- Garnish with a slice of nectarine and a sprig of mint.
Nectarine Simple Syrup:
- 5 Large Nectarines cut in cubes
- 1 cup of Water
- ½ cup of Sugar
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the water and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the nectarine chunks and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the fruit is nice and tender use a potato masher to mash the fruit and release as much juice as possible.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Strain the syrup into a container and store it for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
- This recipe yields approx. 24 oz of simple syrup.
- If making far in advance, the simple syrup freezes well.