The Recipe: I morphed together two separate recipes from a new-to-me website, Inspired Taste. Joanne and Adam specialize in easy to prepare dishes that pack a whole lot of flavor. I am a new fan, and recommend you go check ‘em out!
What Makes It Special? The ease of preparation keeps me coming back again and again to fish recipes like this one. Slap your butterflied fish on a square of aluminum foil, tuck a few savory elements inside the fish, fold it all up and send it to the oven. 15 minutes later you’re loving your dinner. Bing bang boom.
Plus the combo of sweet oranges with salty, savory olives gets my taste buds all excited.
Cinnamon is the surprise ingredient for this recipe. Love that sweet-salty combo!
|Print The Recipe- Baked Trout with Oranges, Olives and Herbs|
|File Size:||614 kb|
Recipe Source: Adam and Joanne Gallagher for Inspired Taste
- Olive oil
- 2 small rainbow trout, cleaned and butterflied (opened up with the halves still attached), about 1 pound
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock, fish stock or dry white wine
- 4 thin orange slices plus more for serving
- 2-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two 16-inch squares of cooking parchment paper or use foil.
- Place one trout, skin side down, on each piece of foil. Lightly oil both sides with oil. Season both sides, inside and out, with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Open up the trout, like a book, and add half of the olives, two orange slices, and 1 or two sprigs of thyme.
- Season with another pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper then pour one (1) tablespoon of liquid (stock or wine) over each trout. Close up the fish.
- Fold up the foil by grabbing at the edges and crimping together in the middle and at the ends to make a packet.
- Place packets onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes. checking one packet after 10 minutes. The flesh should pull apart easily with a fork.
- Place each packet on a plate. Carefully open the foil packets — take care not to let the steam burn you. Slide the fish away from the packet and onto the plate and pour juices over it. Serve with more fresh herbs and orange slices.