In preparation for another game tonight – 3rd game of the National League Championship Series – I asked Ilise to create a cocktail. This will serve functions both medicinal (if the game doesn’t go well) and celebratory (in case, fingers crossed, OMG yay!)
- Let’s Go Rake some Leaves!
- Let’s Go Trick-or-Treaters!
- Let’s Go Bears/Packers/Patriots/Vikings!
- Let’s Go Bartender – another round for my pals, please!
Click the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Recipe by Ilise Goldberg
- 1.5 oz Jack Daniels
- .75 oz Ginger Liqueur such as Domaine de Canton
- 1.5 oz Plum Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
- .25 oz Lemon Juice
- 2-3 dashes bitters
- Wedge of Plum (for garnish)
- Thick piece of lemon peel (for garnish)
- In a cocktail shaker combine all ingredients with ice except garnish. Shake well.
- Strain into an old-fashioned glass over fresh ice cube.
- Garnish with lemon peel and plum wedge.
- For a slightly different taste also try it without the lemon juice.
Plum Simple Syrup:
- 2 pound plums cut in quarters (any variety or a combination of varieties)
- 1 Cup of Water
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- Combine the water and sugar in a pan over high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the plum chunks and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Once the fruit is nice and tender use a potato masher and mash the fruit to release as much juice as possible.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Strain the syrup into a container, and store it for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
- If making far in advance the simple syrup freezes well.