Before you dive into the recipe, why don’t you take a little break – maybe pop a few pistachios as a snack? – and view some of the Wonderful Pistachios commercials at the link here. I especially like the ones with Snoop Dogg, the dominatrix, and the new Facebook emojis. Here’s another fun one:
Keep reading for the recipe and plenty of pix.
Recipe source: Nate Hamilton via Bon Appetit
- 1 ½ cups unsalted, shelled, roasted natural pistachios
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 handful grated Parmesan
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (or more) olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound pasta, cooked – Save the cooking liquid!
- Place the following ingredients into a food processor: pistachios, tomato, garlic cloves, mint, and Parmesan. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and a big pinch of black pepper.
- Pulse until a coarse purée forms.
- Transfer to a bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and stir to form a thick, chunky sauce. Add more olive oil if needed (1 tablespoon at a time). It will still be thick – that’s okay. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss 1 cup pesto with 1 pound freshly cooked pasta, adding still-warm pasta cooking liquid by the tablespoonful to form a glossy sauce.
- Top the sauced pasta with one quick grind of pepper and just a little extra grated cheese if desired.
- Chill the remaining pesto to spread on sandwiches, or use as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken breasts or fish fillets.