You can see that my festival survival kit is nearly ready to go. It includes (from left to right): the tote bag itself, Hawaiian print, very festive; frozen bottle of water; hand fan; spritzer bottle – a little mist in the face is good for what ails you when it’s 90+ degrees and humid; lipstick for when a girl wants to look pretty; hairbrush; floss; bandaids with Neosporin; aspirin; earplugs (very few bands are worth suffering hearing loss, sorry not sorry); camera; hand sanitizer; pen and notepad; Wet Ones; sunscreen; bug spray in a moist towelette format (genius!); bag of baggies and paper towels; bag of chipotle-roasted almonds (will have to disguise these - contraband!) The plaid blanket has water-resistant groundcloth on the backing which unfortunately will be needed – we’re due for rain on Friday and Saturday. There’s a green sheet, a blue rain poncho, a washcloth and a cute little cap. What you don’t see is the folding chair-in-a-bag which is for sure coming along with. And the mandatory pack of tissues we've discussed before.
It’s embarrassing really – the tote bag version of a soccer mom’s minivan. Or maybe I’ve become the Be Prepared poster child.
- Friday afternoon used to be the slower ramp-up day leading into the larger crowds and bigger names on the weekend. Not so much anymore, it’s full tilt boogie right away. My Friday Most Anticipated: Ryley Walker; Natalie Prass; CHVRCHES; Ought; and Wilco
- By attending the fest, my friends and I skew the average age considerably. Yes, there are more young’uns than oldies but all co-exist pretty well.
- Saturday’s Most Wanted: Ex Hex; Kurt Vile; The New Pornographers; Shamir; Future Islands; and Sleater-Kinney
- Sure to be spotted: Young women with long hair and flower crowns; Nearly naked guy in body paint (he’s always there); Fence jumpers; Babies wearing giant headphones. Lots and lots of tattoos. Funny t-shirts. No shirts. Maybe hula hoops.
- Sunday’s Must Sees: Viet Cong; Waxahatchee; Courtney Barnett; How To Dress Well; Clark; and Caribou.
Someone always reissues a new version of Pitchfork (or Hipster) Bingo. We’ll probably get all the squares on the first day.
- Here's some Pitchfork prattle from other sites: Chicagoist; Eater; Chicago Reader.
Maybe I'll see you out at the fest. I'll be the one under the shady tree with my survival kit, ready for anything. Full report to come next week!
Images in this section (top to bottom):
License to Boot