Why This Works: The recipe comes from Kenji Lopez-Alt at Serious Eats (a great resource for recipes and local dining) who specifies that this is more of a blueprint than a recipe, meaning that this process adapts well to many different ingredients.
The formula: vinaigrette with raw veggies marinating; mix in grilled veggies before serving; top with a flavorful garnish (or cheese!)
The Playlist: This is a tasty little jazz/funk number called Green Beans by Nils Landgren Funk Unit and Joe Sample. Hope you like it.
Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
|Printable Recipe- Grilled Green Bean Salad with Red Peppers and Radishes|
|File Size:||614 kb|
Recipe source: J. Kenji López-Alt for Serious Eats
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 4 ounces)
- 6 to 8 small radishes, thinly sliced (about 3 ounces)
- 1 pound trimmed green beans
- Small handful minced fresh parsley leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and mustard. Slowly drizzle in three tablespoons olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add scallions, bell peppers, and radishes, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss the green beans with the remaining tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the grill, either charcoal or gas. You want a two-zone fire: half of the grill is set to high heat, the other has no coals below or burners turned off for indirect grilling.
- Add the green beans to the grill directly over the coals, placing them perpendicular to the grill grates or use a thin-grated vegetable basket if you have one to prevent them from falling into the grates. Cook, turning occasionally, until blistered, charred, and tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer beans to the bowl with the dressing/scallion/radish/pepper mixture. Add parsley and toss to combine. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.