- 2 versions of the same cocktail – Cherry & Lemon Gilroys, featuring Kirschwasser liqueur, often served with fondue as a digestif, cutting through the cheese in one’s system allowing even more consumption [cut the cheese, yes]. Wine was consumed in multiples too (7! The tablecloth drank at least half a bottle; you’ll see below), a mix of dry French and Austrian white wines and a few tasty reds as well. (Ilise and Ann)
- 2 appetizer fondues – Cheese and Roasted Garlic Broth + multiple dippers including bread, salami, pickled vegetables, and shrimp + 2 post-fondue dipping sauces (Karen and Kathleen)
- 3 main course fondues – Bagna Cauda for multiple vegetables; Mushroom-Beef Broth and Chicken-Shallot Broth – to cook 3 meats (chicken, pork and beef) + 5 dipping sauces: Aïoli, Olive, Remoulade, Horseradish Cream & Teriyaki (Greg and Dan)
- Just 1 option for the dessert course – Mexican Hot Chocolate Fondue with freshly-made Churros (Ellyn). The multiples came into play because I could NOT stop eating these hot, sweet delights.
It’s entirely possible that the Dinner Club Diners may have burned off a calorie or two walking laps around the kitchen island and the dining room table to get to all the items of their choice. Speaking for myself, I usually just plop into a dining room chair at our gatherings and stay put all evening, so this felt quite virtuous, almost like exercise. Don’t worry, we won’t let this become a habit.
Because this evening was all about mixing and matching, dipping and dunking, moving and grooving, it only makes sense to tell the story with pictures and motion and music rather than with words. So let’s set the mood with an up-tempo tune by jazz great Les McCann and please enjoy a photo gallery of our evening. Click to embiggen the pix.
Who do the fondue that you do so well? We do, and we hope you do too!
Theme: Red Square Hosts: Greg and Dan
- Drinks: Red Hot Shots; Beet Generation; Beet Cubed; Russian River wines – Ilise & Ann
- Appetizers: Beet Carpaccio over Caramelized Onions; Pickled Herring – Ellyn
- Main Course: Salmon Kulebyaka; Mtsvani Lobios Pkhali (Green Bean & Walnut Salad) – Greg & Dan
- Dessert: Red Velvet Cake Constructions – Kathleen & Karen