Thank goodness for the internet! There’s not much you can’t learn with a little screen time, and sushi-making tutorials abound. Ilise did her research, and we did a test run in advance of the dinner party. Having the right equipment and ingredients is key. We are lucky to live in an area with many ethnic markets nearby, and had no trouble finding what we needed. Your mileage may vary.
- Bamboo rolling mats, covered in plastic wrap
- A hand fan
- Japanese sushi rice (we used Nishiki brand)
- Rice vinegar
- Nori seaweed sheets
- and Nanami Togarashi, a special Japanese 7-spice blend for the spicy mayo
I use a rice cooker, but a covered pan on the stove will work just fine.
- Cook the rice
- Finish the rice - add vinegar mixture, fan and mix
- Spread rice onto sheet of nori on bamboo mat
- Add filling – in this case, chopped tuna tossed with spicy mayo and avocado slices
- Roll it up tightly, using the mat to guide and shape
- Carefully slice the roll into pieces
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger
Click the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Here are the recipes we used:
Sushi Rice – from No Recipes – There are great photos and step by step instructions at this site
Spicy Mayo – from Secrets of Sushi
Pickled Ginger – from Foodie with Family
Tell us about your own sushi making tips, tricks and favorites in the comments.