The zucchini bread is also good for potlucks, office treats, and bake sales thanks to its ease of transport and ability to be made ahead.
Why It Works: This is an old-fashioned cake that has stood the test of time. Sometimes you don’t want layers and fillings and frostings, sometimes a good old slice of Zucchini Bread (or carrot cake, or date loaf, etc.) is exactly what you crave. Toasted with a pat of butter, if you really want to know.
The Playlist: Zucchini Beach by Armenian-American acoustic musician Michael Gulezian. Click here to visit his website and learn more.
Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Recipe source: The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
- 2 small zucchini (1 pound), ends trimmed
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (10 ½ ounces) sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Optional: ½ cup (2 ounces) pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Optional: ¾ cup golden raisins
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan. Shred the zucchini using the large holes of a box grater. Squeeze the shredded zucchini between several layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, and lemon juice together until smooth. Gently fold the shredded zucchini and yogurt mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not over-mix). Gently fold in the pecans and raisins.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour before serving.