Apparently in Season 3 we will be treated to themes of motherhood and faith, the comings and goings of some featured characters (Alex/Laura Prepon is back and Larry/Jason Biggs is not), and the tastiest treat of all -- big butch Boo (Lea DeLaria) in ruby red lipstick!
Can. Not. Wait. Good news – we don’t have to! Season 3 returns Friday June 12 on Netflix for your viewing pleasure. If you’re going to binge-watch, you might need a little nourishment along the way, keep up your strength to command the remote. I don’t know that you’ll get much nutrition from these suggested snacks, but they’re delicious and thematically correct, so there you go. Pictures and recipe after the jump.
- Orange Sorbet with Bittersweet Chocolate Shavings – no recipe needed, pretty much as it sounds
- Strawberry-Orange Salad in Basil Syrup
Yields 4 servings
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2-4 navel oranges
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until clear, about 2-3 minutes. Let syrup cool very briefly, then add the basil. Set aside to steep and cool.
- Rinse and hull the strawberries, then slice them or cut into quarters.
- With a small, sharp knife, cut ends off first orange. Set 1 orange cut side down on a cutting board. Following the orange’s curve with a knife, slice off peel and pith. Hold the orange over a bowl to catch the juice and cut between the inner membranes and fruit to release the orange segments. Drop segments into the bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl and discard membranes. Repeat with remaining oranges. (Start with 2 oranges; add extra[s] if needed to balance out the amount of strawberries.)
- Add strawberries to oranges and pour some of the basil syrup over fruit. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- You can make ahead by a few hours, but the berries will soften and lose color after a while.