I’m thankful as well for the abundance of gorgeous, fresh spring vegetables in the market. Today’s featured dish – Springtime Risotto – makes the most of them.
What Makes it Special? Fresh spring veggies and herbs make this risotto special. Personally, I find risotto special and magical full stop. It surely must be magic that turns a mix of rice, broth, and only the smallest amount of cheese into the rich, creamy ambrosia that I savor by the spoonful.
Kitchen Tip: This recipe is easy but also a time-suck. Well, that’s not quite accurate, we’re only talking 30 minutes (once everything has been prepped) BUT it is hands-on for the entire time – stirring, stirring, stirring. Oh hey, how about a little more stirring!
So my kitchen tip for you is to have good friends around to talk with and/or an awesome playlist to keep you company.
Here’s one now, timed at just the right length to accompany all that stirring!
It's a springtime mix of jazz and pop and country and - my favorite category - other. I do hope you enjoy it.
Click on the photos to enlarge them and read the captions.
Recipe source: Ann Taylor Pittman for Cooking Light, posted as Double-Pea Risotto
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces microgreens (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high (do not boil). Reduce heat to low, and keep the stock warm.
- Heat a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add bacon; cook until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on a paper towel.
- Add shallot and garlic to drippings in pan; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes.
- Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup warm stock; cook, stirring often, until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups stock, 1/2 cup at a time, and cook, stirring almost constantly, until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next.
- Add snap and green peas and 1/2 cup stock; cook, stirring constantly, until snap peas are crisp-tender and liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in tarragon, salt, pepper, cheese, and remaining 1/2 cup stock.
- Combine microgreens, lemon juice, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium bowl; toss to coat.
- Divide risotto evenly among 4 bowls; top with microgreens and bacon.